I finally got back into the groove of writing this morning. And when I mean writing, I mean the novel that has been in my brain for several years now. I guess you could say that it’s crime fiction, involving a strong Filipina-American main character and some killing.
It takes me forever to write something, even one paragraph can take hours, simply because research can kick my ass. If I died under dubious circumstances, my google search would bring up some really messed up things, especially when I’m in a writing mood.
Chelle Bee’s Writing-Related Google Searches:
- How long does it take to creamate a body?
- Ingredients for homemade plastic explosive.
- How easy is it to get illegal weapons into California?
- How to make meth
Yep. And then my problem with doing research is I can get so easily sidetracked on the internet. When I’m searching for guns that a small woman can handle easily, after a while I’m gun shopping (I don’t really want a gun). Things like this aren’t easy to search. I’m actually going to have to do some human research and go into a gun store. I feel like it would be the most awkward conversation I’ve had.
- Gun store guy: “So what are you in the market for?”
- MEESH: “Oh I’m not in the market for a gun. I just want to hold one… for research purposes.”
- Gun store guy: “What?”
- MEESH: “Yeah. I’m doing research for a hitman… well hitwoman.”
I wonder what they would say if it actually went like that. Also, I want to go shoot a gun so that I can properly write about it. That and in case of the zombie apocalypse, I’d like to know how to shoot a gun. I think it would be quite the experience. And I need a new machete. Damn zombies.